Burn Permits logo

Town of Essex Burn Permits

Apply for your online permit today.

Department Logo or Badge

Don't forget to call!

Toll-free: 1-888-339-8831

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can obtain a burn permit?

Any resident of Essex having a fire larger than 2' x 2' x 2' in size must obtain a burn permit and follow all the general provisions for open air fires as set out in by-Law 1399.

How can I obtain a burn permit?

You may register online using this website, or you can visit us in person.

What can I burn?

Please only burn clean dry wood. No person shall set fire to dispose of materials or waste from commercial, industrial, construction or demolition sites, kitchen garbage or materials made of or containing rubber, plastic or tar.

Do I need a permit?

If you want to have an open-air fire greater that 2' x 2' in size then yes, you need an approved permit. If you are having a barbecue or campfire a permit is not required.